Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow records

I thought I'd share this comment from one of our "readers", and the answer, for those who may not go read all the comments otherwise:




Answer:

I've seen many different "records" recorded for Washington D.C., but the one that seems the most accurate is for 28 inches, set back in 1922. This one blew that away at 32.2 inches (measured at Dulles airport). But in January of 1772, before official records were kept, both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson recorded in their diaries that 36 inches of snow fell in one storm in the capital! That storm is now referred to as the Washington-Jefferson snow storm.

1 Comments:

At February 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM , Blogger martha said...

Thirty-two plus inches. Wow! I think the only time I have been in a snowstorm that seemed that big was the first year we lived in Quebec City. That would have been the winter of 74-75? I should try to look that up and see what the various snowfalls measured in that year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home