Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The simple man's daybook



Can a man "linger on the simple things...", and "[focus] on simplicity" too? I like to think so. Then here's my list from The Simple Woman's Daybook, discovered through my sister's blog.

FOR TODAY... December 22, 2009

Outside my window... an ivory tower stands, four feet tall, the product of a great hour with my son in snow the perfect consistency for snowmen, snowballs, and ivory towers.

I am thinking... about how to make the holidays more memorable as a family.

I am thankful for... finally having completed my last work assignment yesterday, and able to let the office stay at the office for the rest of the holidays.

I am wearing... jeans wet from snow, and a birthday sweater from Claudia

I am remembering... that I left the water running at the barn -- better run and turn it off!

I am going... nowhere today!

I am currently reading... to myself: The Planets, by Dava Sobel; to the family: Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, which has made us start planning a family vacation to Prince Edward Island (some day).

I am hoping... for a slow and relaxed day today.

Pondering these words... "Remember that the attitude with which you finish an activity often defines how you remember the whole activity" -- advice I gave Jordan after he got snow in his boots, and which I wonder if I can use myself as well. Sounds kind of austere writing it down, but Jordan actually seemed to appreciate it and tried to go inside with a positive spirit.

From the kitchen... More cinnamon swirl bread is on the schedule for today, if I get around to starting it in time.

Around the house... the house is relatively picked up, but due for another cleaning (hence the concern about being able to start the bread in time to complete today!). The living room is my favorite room right now -- it has the most lived in, family look with Claudia's books and last minute Christmas cards on the couch where she spends any time she's not resting in bed, Jordan's legos on the ottoman, a book for me by the rocking chair, and Jessie's largest blanket and toys taking up most of the floor space.

One of my favorite things... opening a gift a day the week leading up to Christmas.

From my picture journal...




Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At December 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM , Blogger martha said...

Great idea, Ben! It was a treat to see the day from a man's point of view. Are you putting the cinnamon swirl loaves in the freezer for our visit next week?

 
At December 22, 2009 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous Phyllis said...

I love how this "daybook" gives a picture of your house and life and family.

 
At December 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM , Anonymous Helen said...

Very cool Ben (and Phyllis too, I just read yours!) I love the picture of your living room, it makes me want to come over!
Hmmm....a gift a day leading up until Christmas? Good idea. You should try celebrating Hannukah! Except it has the opposite anticipation, I find the first night is the most anticipated and by the last night I am tired of it and ready to get back into 'real' life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home