Saturday, February 13, 2010

2010 Olympics have begun!

We stayed up last night to watch the opening ceremonies for the Vancouver Winter Olympics, the first time I've ever see any Olympic opening ceremony live (as far as I can remember, anyway). I use the term "we" loosely there, because Claudia succumbed to sleep deprivation around 11:00pm and Jordan not much later, and despite my best efforts I was unable to rouse Jordan for the lighting of the Olympic torch around midnight. :-( I taped it, though, so we got to relive the occasion this morning.

I was impressed and moved by the show as many were, and proud to be a Canadian.

If you missed the ceremony you can see clips of it here courtesy of NBC. The songs and visual effects were incredible -- my favorite was the visualization of the prairie provinces. I also loved KD Lang's interpretation of Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah".
2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

From my scrapbook, a much younger me carrying the Olympic torch for the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics:


How many of you watched the ceremonies last night?


Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At February 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Helen said...

We watched it! We didn't have to stay up quite as late as you, but we sent Kenan to bed b/c he is sick and needed it, but I really wish he'd seen that fiddle and tap dance mayhem! Shoes on fire baby! Shana succumbed to sleep with her head on Soiree's back (the cat) before the torch as well. We didn't have the means of taping it, can you send yours to us? Go Olympians!

 
At February 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM , Blogger ben said...

The only part I taped was the torch lighting itself, and I did it by pointing the video camera at the TV so it's not something worth forwarding. You can watch it in streaming video though at NBC's website: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html

 
At March 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Luke said...

Wow does Andre ever look like you did.... I can't believe the resemblance... very dominant genes I presume ;=)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home